Toby Hudson Wiki
University student Toby Hudson was unable to speak to anyone in the office due to a faulty telephone system, and eventually gave up, and a 19-year-old died to call back the next day to be told that he had not been seen for at least 48 hours. investigation was heard. University student Toby Hudson was unable to speak to anyone in the office due to a phone system malfunction and eventually gave up and called again the next day to be told that he would not be seen for at least 48 hours.
The tragic teenager was told that, as he was enrolled for another surgery in the university city of Hants, Southampton, he could wait two days to re-enroll or go to an emergency care center.
Toby died two days after seeking first aid at the Wyke Regis & Lanehouse Medical Office in Dorset, Weymouth.
An investigation into his death in Bournemouth heard that Toby had previously been sick in Weymouth practice.
However, when he moved to Southampton to study chemistry at university, he enrolled in a new clinic close to campus.
He had been suffering from a cough for nearly two months before returning to his family home in Weymouth in the summer of 2019. His parents are a GP to him.
He went to the center and was seen by the nurse who diagnosed him with tonsillitis and gave him antibiotics, the investigation was heard.
Over the next 24 hours, his condition worsened and his family called 999 when he lost consciousness. He had a heart attack in the back of the ambulance and a support team was called in.
The backup team was late in going to the hospital after going to the wrong place. Toby was later taken to the theater at Dorset County Hospital in Dorchester but died in the hospital that night.
Toby’s father, Peter Hudson, described the day of his son’s death on July 4, 2019, when he returned home to look pale and under a blanket. He helped his son get into the wet room of the house where his eyes turned on his head, there were saliva bubbles in his mouth, and he briefly lost consciousness.
“I felt it wasn’t an emergency. I had to press for action and to hear our concerns,” Hudson said.
“There were problems with communication. The backup team went to our home address and from where the neighbors told me they had trouble finding the house.
“Before they knew what was happening, they were knocking on doors.
“They then had to travel almost three miles to where the ambulance actually passed through Weymouth summer traffic and roadworks. Dr Brook said the correct procedures were followed. According to national guidelines, temporary residents should only be seen by a GP and do not require emergency care.
Practitioner nurse Briony Jefferis said that Toby was not remotely worried about his symptoms when he was examined at the emergency care center at Weymouth Community Hospital that he had ‘no signs of sepsis’.